One sentence summary: This three hour workshop offers a practical introduction to meditation and mindfulness that aims to integrate the fundamentals of traditional meditation practice with contemporary insights from psychology and neuropsychology.
Meditation and mindfulness are simply put, ways of training our mind and attention to focus consciously and deliberately upon objects that give rise to inner wellbeing, harmony and happiness.
What you will learn
Simple meditation and mindfulness techniques which can be condensed into a ten minute daily practice that:
- Reduces and transforms anxiety and stress, releases unwanted tension from your body-mind.
- Helps you to build an intention toward yourself and others genuinely based around warmth, friendship and love
- Trains your mind to take in, focus upon and appreciate the positive in your life
- Develops your concentration skills (the ability to focus one-pointedly upon a single object/task), and in particular a special type of relaxed concentration, or lucid awareness
- Enables you to connect with and relax deeply into the natural inner space and silence of your mind
- An increased capacity to witness the contents of your consciousness as an observer, rather than being completely identified and wrapped up in it.
Again, all of these skills can be consolidated into a daily meditation practice that can be done in ten minutes!
The Structure of the Workshop:
1st Hour – An explanation of what meditation is, followed by an introduction to and practice of the basic seven stage meditation on how to develop a mind of ease, relaxed concentration and positive intention.
2nd Hour – Questions and answers, followed by meditation on awareness of our stream of consciousness, and learning to orient our mind around thoughts and perspectives that give rise to happiness, wellbeing and appreciation.
3rd Hour – Talk on how to develop inner focus and concentration, and how to relax into the natural inner space and silence of the mind. Practice of meditation for developing concentration and awareness of the inner space and silence of the mind.
You will also receive:
- Extensive workshop notes giving a detailed of the meditation practices that are taught.
- Three ten minute MP3 meditation recordings that you can take away and listen to as a support for your personal practice